Thursday, February 21, 2013

Tomie Depaola

All day I've been thinking about a stellar moment in my youth.  While living in the small town of Holt, Michigan at the age of 6 or 7, I became an avid fan of Tomie dePaola.  If he wrote it, then I read it.  I had built a fort under my little sisters crib where I would read for hours.
I moved around quite frequently as a child and was so lucky to be in the right place at the right time during my 1st grade school year.  Being in the right place at the right time doesn't happen very often for me.  This was huge.
The lovely Mr. dePaola was scheduled for a author visit to the school I was attending.  I remember, although vaguely, that someone in the school would have the chance to recite a poem to him and sit in the circle right in front of him while he talked with each grade, and that the appearance would be locally televised as well.
Luck was with me and I was the kid who recited the Fuzzy Wuzzy poem for TV and got to sit front and center with my favorite author.
I still adore Tomie dePaola and he helped fuel my fire for reading and writing.
I now have huge "lit" crushes on other authors but my visit with Tomie dePaola keeps him at the top of my list of favorite authors.

No comments: